CVIP CODE OF ETHICS
Community Volunteers for International Programs (CVIP) is a non-profit organization based at Michigan State University with nearly 50 years experience enhancing cultural exchange and building international understanding. Our mission is to increase cross-cultural understanding and goodwill between the Greater Lansing Community and MSU international students, families and visitors.
CVIP is a secular and non-political organization, open to people of all faiths and ideologies who wish to come together in the spirit of compassion, curiosity, and international friendship. As an organization, CVIP is welcoming, supportive, inclusive, and fun. We value open-mindedness and respect for the richness of cultures around the world.
CVIP asks that anyone participating in our activities follow the guidelines below:
- Demonstrate awareness of, sensitivity to, and respect for other values, beliefs, viewpoints, systems, and cultures.
- Recognize their own culture and value orientations and be aware of how those orientations affect their interactions with people from other cultures.
- Respect all persons without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnicity, sex, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, age, political opinion, immigration status, or disability.
- Avoid proselytizing. Proselytizing is defined as unsolicited, coercive, manipulative and/or hidden persuasion that seeks to influence others to adopt another way of thinking, believing or behaving, particularly in relation to religious and political views.
- Refrain from exploiting, threatening, coercing, disrespecting, or sexually harassing others.
- Seek appropriate guidance and direction when faced with ethical dilemmas.
Please help us ensure that CVIP is a place where international friendships can truly flourish. Let a CVIP staff or board member know immediately if anyone involved in a CVIP activity does not respect the above guidelines.
If you prefer to raise your concerns anonymously, please send your concern by mail to CVIP, 12C International Center, Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824-1035. To speak with an officer directly, please call (517) 353-1735 or email email@example.com.
Approved by CVIP Board - Summer 2010- August 17, 2010